K ROAD TAPAS + BAR + RESTAURANT
COOKING · EATING · DRINKING
- An accent on the Spanish, with Arabic influences and a bit of Latin American thrown in for good measure. Carmen’s nomadic and rebellious gypsy side stops us from labelling our food any one cuisine...
- A colourful menu: tapas and shareables like the smoky eggplant dip, ceviche or cauli fritters, Jerusalem quesadillas, succulent slow-cooked meats… as well as separate dedicated menus for Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Frees. Our food is proudly served the way we would at home, friends and family – sharing a table, together.
- Opening at 4 with an exaggerated Happy Hour until 7, serving up tap beers, on point cocktails, Spanish and NZ wines, and loads of atmosphere!
- A bohemian café/restaurant with an interior straight out of Havana, Carmen Jones has one foot in the old world and one in the new. Drawing inspiration from old Mediterranean Europe to the Americas, our Carmen fits right in to the eclectic and iconic K Road, on Auckland's city fringe.
- Occupying the best corner spot in the neighbourhood, the evening sun streams in. A philosophy of bringing cultures together through food and hospitality means a menu with a wide range of influences, encouraging sharing and colourful conviviality!
- Our name was inspired by a couple of vintage record covers we found years ago – the opera Carmen set in southern Spain, and the 1940’s adaptation Carmen Jones – an afro-american take on the story. Taking inspiration from this pirating from one culture and putting into another, our blend has both the laidback feel of the Mediterranean as well as the soul of the South.
- And really, we just loved the name.