- A heavy Spanish accent, with Arabic influences and a bit of Latin thrown in for good measure - Carmen’s nomadic and rebellious gypsy side comes through loud and clear in our food.
- The menu – tapas and shareables of different sizes – offers up Spanish and Moorish flavours and textures, for lovers of sunny and colourful tasty food, as well as separate dedicated menus for Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Frees.
- Opening at 4 with Happy Hour until 7, serving up tap beers, on point cocktails, Spanish and NZ wines, and loads of atmosphere!
- With a bohemian interior straight out of Seville or Havana, our Carmen fits right in to the iconic Karangahape Road, on Auckland's city fringe. Occupying the best corner spot in the neighbourhood, the evening sun streams in. A philosophy of bringing cultures together through food and hospitality means a wide range of influences, encouraging sharing and conviviality!
- The name was inspired by a couple of vintage record covers – the 150 year old opera Carmen set in southern Spain, and the 1940’s adaptation Carmen Jones – an afro-american take on the story. Taking inspiration from this pirating from one culture and putting into another, we call our own culinary corruption Eclectic Tapas…